Known to conveniently provide medical attention to patients whose GPs are unavailable, family home doctors help maintain a quality standard of care in the comfort of your home. Find out how these medical warriors help hospitals especially the emergency department in catering to all patient care and medical needs.
Family home doctors and the common medical conditions they treat
Most calls requesting for family home doctors are from parents of sick children or relatives of elderly patients who need non-life threatening medical attention immediately. The urgency comes from the need for immediate relief and the peace of mind of the primary caregivers. Most conditions include:
- Mild to moderate fever
- Abdominal cramps or pain
- Presence of foreign objects (splinter, accident-related)
- Muscle pain, strain, or sprain
- Skin rashes (school sores, hives, or mild cellulitis)
If one of these conditions resembles your complaint or symptom, then the services of a family home doctor may apply to you.
Family home doctors and how they help hospital services
Before the popularity of family home doctors began to re-emerge as a reliable medical service, patients who feel sick and want to seek medical attention during the after-hours rush to hospitals and crowd the emergency room, waiting for their chance to get a medical consultation. This scenario causes heavy and unnecessary traffic in hospitals where non-emergency cases still get tangled up with emergency ones. Doctors who should focus their attention on treating life-threatening cases tend to share their time and efforts in checking on mild and non-emergency conditions. This is the part where the services of family home doctors enter the picture.
Before rushing to the hospital and waiting in line inside the emergency room, consider requesting for the services of available family home doctors within your area. They are the same doctors as your GPs, board certified and recognised by the same government agencies that ensure high-quality medical services are provided to you. A call from their hotline and a couple of hours later, a medical doctor is at your doorstep, ready to address your medical problem.
This set-up helps both patients and nearby hospitals by:
- Avoiding patient congestion in hospital facilities
- Proper triaging of patients so that emergency cases get attended appropriately
- Providing comfort and convenience to patients as they are treated and assessed in their homes
- Bulk billing medical consultations, so payments for family home doctors are convenient and hassle-free
- Ensuring the coordination of care with the patient’s GP as a medical report gets prepared and sent to them every after a home visit.
- Dispensing initial doses of generally-prescribed medications to get you through until the next day when your GP is already available, and the nearest pharmacy opens.
Knowing the advantages of having family home doctors to the rescue in times of need gives both patient and caregiver the peace of mind that there is always someone to call when they need help. Take hold of the hotline numbers of nearby family home doctors so that you know who to call when the need arises.